Sunday, January 24, 2010

Homemade Ravioli

I love my family. I received a pasta maker for Christmas this past year. Mom and Dad wholeheartedly support my cooking habit.

LAST NIGHT AT HOME WITH ELLY* AND JULIE^:

After throwing some diced tomatoes, sauce and paste in the slow cooker with ground turkey (93/7) I decided to put my pasta maker to work. To date, I have made homemade ravioli (dough and filling) 3 times. Each time presented new challenges yet each attempt yielded something quite delicious. Tonight was no different. I began making the dough while Julie and Elly watched with awe-inspired eyes. Els clearly thinks I need my own cooking show because somehow floating around the island with flour all over my hands, saying things like ...(see below)... makes me a future Rachel Ray.

"Now I'm gonna step over here and gently place the 'egg wash' on the dough. This helps it stick together a bit better. It's important to seal all sides of the ravioli. Now, if I had more time, I would ..."

The recipe I used actually came from the pasta maker instruction/recipe book. I made the dough the traditional way this time. The past few times I made the dough I used olive oil and water. This time the recipe looked like this:

DOUGH
2 1/2 Cups Flour
3 Eggs

RICOTTA FILLING (You can put whatever you want in your ravioli - try something new!)
1 cup Ricotta Cheese
1 Egg
Additional cheese - I threw in some grated parmesean
Spices as desired - Italian Seasoning, Salt and Pepper

I also added spinach (learned that I need to at least wilt the spinach leaves before adding to filling - Thanks Jodi) To wilt- simply place leaves in hot water until softened. I did not pat them dry before adding to mixture but I will next time because the water made it more runny than I would've liked!


1. Place flour in mixing bowl creating a well in the center. Place the eggs in the well and begin to blend the flour with the eggs. If sticky, add flour. If dry and crumbly, add a bit of water. I used a fork. Blend until there is an even consistency - knead with hands. Let dough sit for at least 10-15 minutes under damp towel to allow ingredients to blend.

2. Make ricotta filling by blending all ingredients and place in refridgerator until the dough has been rolled.

3. When the dough is ready, begin rolling through the pasta maker or with a rolling pin until very thin. I do not have a ravioli maker attachment so I just grease a cookie sheet and lay out the dough. Brush the dough with egg wash (egg and bit of water) to help it stick (See quote above.)

4. Drop a few dollops of filling on the dough about an inch apart and then cover with another piece of dough or roll over one side of the piece I am working with. Gently press the sides with a fork to seal the ravioli.

5. Let the ravioli sit for a bit to dry. They become very difficult to work with without breaking them open. Cut them into squares so they are now individual pieces.

6. Boil a pot of water. Throw in the ravioli. When they rise to the top of the pot, they are done. Because they are homemdae they take under 3 minutes when you pop them in. Just be ready to take them out quickly and experiment with cooking times.

Warning - these thingys look like little aliens or something. No, ameobas. At least, mine do. And they have each of the 4 times I have made them! Can you tell I just want to eat and don't care much for asthetics at this point?!


*Elly - May also be referred to as Young Eleanor Shearman, Els, Smelly, Sous Chef in future posts. Elly and I work together. Perhaps I shouldn't disclose this information; we've been known to wander around the office chatting with innocent co-workers who quickly become guilty by association. There's just always jestering to be done, especially during the 9-5.

^Julie - Also known as Jules or Roomy. You guessed it, I live with Julie. She has a beautiful house that I love to live in. I take over the front foyer with bags that should've been unpacked weeks earlier and make messes in the kitchen. I do clean the dishes after making a masterpiece. Julie and I met while coaching. She coaches full time which is why she's my coaching mentor - always with the best soccer training advice.

Phew this blogging is almost as exhausting as making homemade ravs. I am sure I forgot something in all of this. Forgive me - I am a novice at this point. Pictures to come.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah, love the blog. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should start our own Thomas family restuarant and call it mujjies. I love to bake, you and Zummy can cook, and Matt can Be the manager/hostess/entertainment man. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah I am just now seeing all of these comments.

    MUJJIES could work. I made some pork tenderloin last night with mushrooms, garlic green beans, wheat couscous...mmm

    Salad: Goat cheese, walnuts and cranberries over mixed greens.

    Oh and we had some bruschetta as an app!


    Best training advice I keep hearing: BE CONSISTENT (which is not my strength)

    ReplyDelete