Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pittsburgh Half Marathon x 2

I was born and raised outside of Pittsburgh, PA. My parents are still there while my siblings and I are scattered throughout the country. My younger sister Leah graduated from college May 2, 2009. The whole family was back in town which was such a treat. I really value when the four of us siblings are together again. To celebrate the family reunion and graduation, I decided to run the Pittsburgh Half Marathon on May 3rd, the day after her graduation ceremony. Okay, it just so happened to work out that I would be home the weekend of the race. Good planning for once, ST. Plus, I wanted to showcase my stellar running abilities for my two brothers who are truly stellar runners.

The race was cool. Crossing multiple bridges while panting and waving to un-sweaty strangers lining Smallman Street, where the race began, was just what I needed to feel accomplished in life. I finished in 1:53 (I think) which was a PR for me. I do remember my calves burning way too early and my arch hurting for a good few miles before it just went away (Thank God.) The race was very well organized and the race packet was full of all kinds of goodies. Not to mention, the running Expo was phenominal; there were so many running stores and vendors with great sales!

So...I decided to sign up and make my way back to da Burgh. I completed the online registration form which represented a loss of any free time the next three months and 65 bones. It's worth getting me off the couch/out of my bed earlier

www.pittsburghmarathon.com

My memory is foggy on dates...
Pretty sure I ran my first half marathon in April 2007 with Kaylea and Eric* (Charlotte Racefest) and then did the City of Oaks Raleigh Half in November 2008 with Elly. The Pittsburgh half last year marked my third race. Now. I'm ready for #4.

I started "training" today (3 miler on treadmill 10 min/mile pace with 2.0 incline... it felt like 13.1) I put the word training in quotes because I tend to sort of/kind of train for these things, which to me is like fake training. This year, however, I want to get some good miles in so the race isn't painful and I can accomplish another PR. I'll have to consult with my little bro who just finished the Phoenix Half Marathon in under 1 hour 10 minutes. Crazy fast. Well done, Z. Check out his post at bagdaddy.blogspot.com

Stay tuned for my training updates. Elly might even come to Pittsburgh with me to run the FULL marathon! She's such a baller (and much more disciplined than me in all facets.)

*Kaylea and Eric - My good friends whom I met while student-teaching. Kaylea was teaching and coaching soccer and Eric was teaching and coaching as well. I was the maid of honor in their wedding June 2008. They now have twin baby girls!! Kaylea and Eric are curently training for a half. If the newlywed parents of twins can find time to run, I sure as heck better be able to.

Here's to lots of mileage in February...

3 comments:

  1. NICE...The Pittsburgh Marathon. Maybe I will run that one with you and visit with the fam. That would be fun. Yea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to run my first one with you!!!!!!!!!!! I need some training tips scussy....

    Leelee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sarah nice blog! Can't wait to see most of my kids this may!

    ReplyDelete