Sunday, March 21, 2010

Half Marathon Training Update

This post should be short and sweet. Kinda like my training. The Pittsburgh Half Marathon is exactly 6 weeks away. Funny enough 6 miles is about the farthest I have run in my training (well, not yet but I am about to go run 6 now if I get off the couch and stop blogging.) I have been fighting sinus/allergies which are new to me so I've been sluggish on my runs. I plan to work some fartlek (intervals) and hills into my runs to hopefully give me some strength for the race. The plan is to slowly increase my long runs until I get up to 10 before the race on May 2nd.

Thomas Family Running Updates:
My sister Leah is running the Pittsburgh Half with me this May. This will be her first half marathon! Her training is going well - I think she's up to 9-10 miles now (kicking my butt.) Plus, she was buried in snow up in DC and couldn't run outside for a while. Good work, Scussy.

My older brother Matty, who just turned 29 on St.Patty's day finished the Los Angeles Marathon this morning in just over 3 hours. He has been sick with a virus but still completed the race in a very respectable time. His PR is around 2:50. He volunteers with "Students Run LA" an organization that encourages at-risk students to run and complete a marathon. www.srla.org

My younger brother Zummy (Z's Blog) is nuts in a good way. He completed his first Ultra Marathon a few weeks ago in 6 hrs and 58 minutes for a first place finish. This was a 50 mile race. Yes, he ran for an entire workday. Think about that tomorrow when you're at your desk.

They continue to inspire me with each run...

1 comment: